arrays - Reference - What does this error mean in PHP?
What is this?
This is a number of answers about warnings, errors, and notices you might encounter while programming PHP and have no clue how to fix them. This is also a Community Wiki, so everyone is invited to participate adding to and maintaining this list.
Why is this?
Questions like "Headers already sent" or "Calling a member of a non-object" pop up frequently on Stack Overflow. The root cause of those questions is always the same. So the answers to those questions typically repeat them and then show the OP which line to change in their particular case. These answers do not add any value to the site because they only apply to the OP's particular code. Other users having the same error cannot easily read the solution out of it because they are too localized. That is sad because once you understood the root cause, fixing the error is trivial. Hence, this list tries to explain the solution in a general way to apply.
What should I do here?
If your question has been marked as a duplicate of this one, please find your error message below and apply the fix to your code. The answers usually contain further links to investigate in case it shouldn't be clear from the general answer alone.
If you want to contribute, please add your "favorite" error message, warning or notice, one per answer, a short description what it means (even if it is only highlighting terms to their manual page), a possible solution or debugging approach and a listing of existing Q&A that are of value. Also, feel free to improve any existing answers.
- Nothing is seen. The page is empty and white. (also known as White Page/Screen Of Death)
- Code doesn't run/what looks like parts of my PHP code are output
- Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent
- Warning: mysql_fetch_array() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given a.k.a.
Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource
- Warning: open_basedir restriction in effect
- Warning: Division by zero
- Warning: Illegal string offset 'XXX'
- Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
- Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '['
- Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_XXX
- Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE
- Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM
- Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'require_once' (T_REQUIRE_ONCE), expecting function (T_FUNCTION)
- Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE
- Fatal error: Allowed memory size of XXX bytes exhausted (tried to allocate XXX bytes)
- Fatal error: Maximum execution time of XX seconds exceeded
- Fatal error: Call to a member function ... on a non-object or null
- Fatal Error: Call to Undefined function XXX
- Fatal Error: Cannot redeclare XXX
- Fatal error: Can't use function return value in write context
- Fatal error: Declaration of AAA::BBB() must be compatible with that of CCC::BBB()'
- Return type of AAA::BBB() should either be compatible with CCC::BBB(), or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used
- Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context
- Fatal error: Object of class Closure could not be converted to string
- Fatal error: Undefined class constant
- Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: Argument #n must be of type x, y given
- Notice: Array to string conversion
- Notice: Trying to get property of non-object error
- Notice: Undefined variable or property
- "Notice: Undefined Index", or "Warning: Undefined array key"
- Notice: Undefined offset XXX [Reference]
- Notice: Uninitialized string offset: XXX
- Notice: Use of undefined constant XXX - assumed 'XXX' / Error: Undefined constant XXX
- MySQL: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ... at line ...
- Strict Standards: Non-static method
- Warning: function expects parameter X to be boolean/string/integer
- HTTP Error 500 - Internal server error
- Deprecated: Arrays and strings offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated